Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Why Am I Writing About Groundhogs?

Groundhogs live in burrows. This blog is meant to be my burrow. It's a little home for my thoughts and my feelings, and it's a home meant to be shared. So, welcome to my burrow!

But let's be honest.  That's not why I named this The Groundhog Blog. This summer, a groundhog has basically deprived me of my health.  Not to be overdramatic, but she ate my veggies, and I like my fresh garden veggies. She has finally disappeared just in time for the summer to finish and vegetable season to come to a close. You see, this groundhog hasn't been helping me out very much. And I don't exactly like this animal for that very reason (although I hope it's disappearance doesn't mean its death).

So, why name this blog after a groundhog? Well, my original reason was because my friend and I wrote a hilarious and awkward short drama in which I was a groundhog who ate a lily named after my friend (it was obviously for our intellectual growth).  So, that leaves me with this interesting nickname. And groundhog rhymes with blog. Gotta get that rhyming in.

Now I have a better reason for naming this The Groundhog Blog. We're all like the groundhog that ate my veggies. All of us. No exceptions. We take all that wonderful goodness for ourselves. And we don't share. We are selfish animals in a selfish world. But God still loves us.

Okay, so I know most of the few (very, very few) people who stumbled onto this blog have possibly clicked off and left me as just another piece of the internet. Not everyone likes to talk about God, but everyone thinks about Him, so keep on reading.

We all wanna be like God. We all wanna call the shots and be on the top of the world. That's even why Adam and Eve ate the fruit.  They wanted to know it all like the Big Guy in heaven. That didn't really work out for them, did it?

But God still loves us crazy children. Because He loves us and has made us to love Him back, God sent Jesus to die for all our sins. The perfect sacrifice. No flaws. No sin. Just awesome. We only need to believe in Jesus, and we are saved. That's the center of my faith. I know so many people have heard this verse or at least have seen it's address on a sport icon's face, but I'm gonna put it here, and I want you to really THINK about it.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." -John 3:16 (TNIV)

It's epic, right?

(P.S. I didn't mean for this to be a mini sermon, but it happened.... )

No comments:

Post a Comment