Saturday, September 7, 2013

Are You Afraid of Hurting Others?

So, you know that animal instinct? I mean, the thing that makes it natural for animals to prey on other animals. Or, maybe do things like steal another's food so they can survive? I know groundhogs do. I know because our groundhog likes to eat our veggies, and she doesn't ask me if it's okay first. It is completely insensitive. But most people don't think of it that way, do they? They just say she's an animal and that's what she does. However, what if it were a person who snuck into my yard and nibbled on my veggies? That would be trespassing and stealing. This person would be a criminal.

And that's what makes us different from all those animals.

Yes, I am writing about one of the differences between humans and animals.

Yes, I am writing this late at night.

Anyway, whenever I'm with other people, I think to myself, "Are they taking what I'm saying the wrong way? Am I HURTING my friend?" And I don't know about you, but I don't like the uncertainty. I don't like that their perception can be wrong and it can be my fault. I also don't like it when they don't like what I say and believe. I don't want to care how they feel about it, but the truth is, I do.

And it gets in the way of telling others about the truth--the truth that I know can save their lives. I'm afraid of telling others about Jesus even though God says to only fear Him (and not fear things that He can control). So, yeah, fear is my idol a lot of the times. It gets in the way of obeying God, and it becomes my god. That's not good. But I do it. And I shouldn't do it.

365. That's an estimate of how many times the Bible tells us not to fear. I mean, no, I didn't count it myself so don't take it that seriously. (Plus, what about leap years?) So, my point is that it's said a lot and it means a lot. Not fearing is important not just because it's good for your blood pressure, but  because fearing something means you're not trusting that God can control it. And that He will control it. Fearing God is the absence of fearing anything else. Isn't that amazing?

Now, this obviously doesn't mean Christians don't fear anything but God. But you should be trying. It should always be in the back of you mind when things feel out of hand. God is in control. He is your Sustainer. Even when things don't seem to make sense, He has a purpose. You may never know what His purpose is, but He has one. And you have to put your trust in Him.

Because His love never fails. 

"Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. They say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."-Psalm 91:1-2           

No comments:

Post a Comment