"Make your bed," the mother said.
"Why?" the daughter said.
"Because it looks neater."
"Why does it have to look neater? No one's coming."
"Because it does. Do it."
The daughter let out an exasperated sigh, trudged to her bedroom, gave her sheets one tug, and left the bed "made". She had obeyed. She had done it. Kinda. But it was only just a bed, so why even try?
This is a trivial example, but we ask this question in much more important scenarios. Why do I have to pick up the slack for someone else when I've already done what I set out to do? Why do I have to help that person when I've already helped someone else today? Why do I have to try my hardest when I can get by without much work? Why do I have to live selflessly when it's easier to live for myself?
And for Christians: why do I have to give my short life my best try when I'm already going to heaven for eternity?
Sure, when it's convenient, we help and love others. We do what we can. But when it gets hard, we do the minimum and control the damage and stop. That's enough. Too much giving. I haven't reached my limit, but pouring out myself isn't fun. Plus, trying hard at most things only bring earthly gain, so why does it matter for Christians? We try at the important things. The morals. The values. The evangelism. That's what we try at. Why bring that into earthly things like normal jobs and chores and things that don't really affect someone's salvation? What difference will it make?
But, oh, will it make a difference. These morals, values, integrity, and your effort cannot be separate from how you do your job. They cannot be separate from earthly things. Right now, you are on earth. You are on earth for a purpose. You are on earth to serve God. Not just in the obvious religious ways, but in everything, trivial or important. Jesus isn't just one part of your life. He's everything. You should treat Him like He is everything, so that "whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him... Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving" (Colossians 3:17, 23-24).
And that's why we try. We are serving Jesus Christ, our Savior, in all that we do, so do it well. Put Jesus first, before all else. Before all earthly worries. Be grateful that you have Him to put first. Try hard. Try hard for Jesus in the name of Jesus. Whether you have to make your bed or meet a deadline, being a Christians means being a follower of Christ, so in everything you do, do it for Him in His name. And your reward is with Him in Heaven for eternity.
You can't really ask for a better reason to try.
No comments:
Post a Comment