I love things that are me. Okay, okay, I know what you're thinking. Who is this egocentric little child? Don't get me wrong. I'm not obsessed with myself; I just enjoy my idiosyncratic traits. Well, the good ones. Don't we all? There's nothing more we like than seeing ourselves in a positive way. It's an ego booster, or, in slightly different terms, an awesome booster. We just love to be awesome.
But we aren't always that awesome. And that hurts. It eats us, gnawing at out flesh until we don't even know who we are anymore. Sorry if it's a bit gory, but you get the point. It gruesomely rips everything that resonates with us off of us. That's the problem with being too into ourselves. It's definitely not the only problem, but it's one of them. Who we are and what we're like--I mean, our personality's idiosyncratic traits--are neither always positive nor always constant. I really don't appreciate this about me even though it's a given in every human's life. My personality changes for better or for worse, and even when it stays the same, I can't count on everything in my life reflecting this. It's frustrating. Utterly frustrating. Especially for people like me who are intrigued by self-expression.
How do I deal with this? Honestly, it really eats me up sometimes. Maybe it isn't this way for everyone, but it is for me. So, back to the question. How?
Maybe start by not looking at something that eats you up, but at something that fills you up. If focusing on your own self eats you up, try focusing on someone else. But what if that someone else has just as many faults as you do and it eats you up all the same? Well, do I have something to tell you.
The person you choose will have no faults--if He's Jesus.
Jesus is perfect. Has anyone ever told you to look on the bright side when you're feeling down? Jesus is the bright side. He is the only completely bright side--the only bright side that will last an eternity. He is the light of the world. With Jesus, suddenly, it doesn't matter how inconstant and imperfect you are, because He is constant and perfect. Because He paid the price. Because His perfect blood was shed on the cross. Because you are no longer defined by your own personality. Because you are no longer defined and valued by something subject to change every two seconds. Because you are now defined by something that can never change.
You are defined by the love of God.
The perfect love of God. The love that was so perfect that He sent His one and only begotten son to die for you on a cross to pay for your sins. And you are His. Forever. For eternity. If you believe in Jesus. Do you?
Who am I?
I am God's.
Who are you?
You are ___.
No comments:
Post a Comment