Saturday, October 12, 2013

Do You Feel the Fall?

So, it's October, and Fall is pretty much in full swing. At this point, I can't remember the summer, and waking up with any kind of sweat seems like an outlandish idea. I woke up chilly this morning, ready to put on my fuzzy socks and cozy sweatpants. That's how it always is, isn't it? You don't find people walking around in bathing suits when the leaves are changing. That's life. When we can, we adapt to our desired level of comfort. It's human, and it's preferable to freezing in the fall.

What about the changing seasons in our life? Do we adapt to those like they're natural things? Or do we complain and complain about how things should be? Do we question God's sanity when He confuses us? Do we try to make things like they were because we're uncomfortable where we are?

The Bible talks about a season for everything. And it doesn't leave out the bad stuff. You shouldn't think God has turned His back on you when bad things happen, because He's right there, telling you this is a new season in life. A season to be embraced. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we should just let chaos happen--I'm saying that there are things that you can't control. Things that God can control. New seasons that you don't have a say in.

Yup, it frustrates me too. I wanna control. I have tried to control. I mean, by myself, too. Without God as anything but a vending machine, ready for Him to ask how high when I command Him to jump. I'm not proud of it, but it's true, and it's natural. It's sinful, but it's natural. Instead of putting God first, we try to play God. I try to play God. And honestly, I usually don't notice. It's just part of life, a typical response to the event called life.

But just because it's typical doesn't make it right.

And ugh, that makes me guilty every time.

Why is it bad to want to change things? What if you're just keeping things in order? Well, yeah, that's fine. You should be responsible for how your life is affecting others and how you allow others to affect you. That's good and right and fair and that's not a problem. The problem is when you forget to trust God. We know it's serious when I underline a word.

When you don't trust God, you have to have something with control in the world, so you try to be that something or get another person or thing to do it. It really is playing God, because in the end, something needs to hold your world together. If it's not God, it's not good. We're resisting one of the biggest things we've been blessed with: comfort. Comfort from God.

When you know God, you don't even have to worry, because God has promised you life that no human can take. Eternal life in Heaven with Him if you believe in Jesus. That's pretty comfortable.

And you know what Jesus said about this comfort?

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." -John 14:1

That's why you should not walk around in a bathing suit while the leaves are changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment