Okay, be honest. Are you? Or maybe when you were little? Maybe you were scared of the shadows that moved across your ceiling or the way your closet door stayed a little bit too open (and the light a little bit too dim). No matter who you are, especially if you're little, you are or were afraid of something related to the dark. It's human. It's normal. I won't go calling the psychiatrist for something like that.
But what do we do if we aren't little kids anymore, but we're still afraid of the dark? When I say the dark, I don't necessarily mean the actual darkness that we see, although that could be the case. I also mean the darkness of the world played out in the sin, the evil, the cruelty, the hate, the lies, the deaths, the enemies, the thieves, our own mindset and flaws and so much more. The list literally goes on forever.
So, what do we do about that? We look to Jesus. Okay, so some of you might be rolling your eyes, because it's such a Sunday school answer, but there's a reason for it. It's because Jesus is our Safety Blanket. Imagine you're five years old again. What kept you safe from the shadows? For me, it was my blankets. I'd pull the sheets up close to my chin, close my eyes, fall asleep, and wake up when the darkness was gone. I also needed my nightlight to be on all the time. Jesus is meant to be our Nightlight too. Obviously, the Nightlight will not illuminate the whole room and rid each corner of darkness, but it gives hope--hope for a future where there is no darkness. Hope for the morning to dawn. Isn't that what Jesus is? Jesus Himself said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life" (John 8:12, TNIV). Doesn't the LIGHT OF LIFE make for a great nightlight? Think about this light that you have on your side. If Jesus is in your life, you cannot be afraid. If He isn't, maybe you should think about inviting Him in. Come on, you can't pass up this Nightlight deal. Just believe and He's yours for free.
If you're afraid of the darkness in the world, take heart, because Jesus is the light of the world. If you're afraid that your nightlight will burn out in the middle of the night, take heart, because Jesus is your forever Nightlight. If you're afraid that evil will win the war, take heart, because the war is already won. And the winner is Jesus.
The light of the world.
The light of your world.
No comments:
Post a Comment